Friday, October 16, 2009

Duchovny Discusses 'Californication, More 'X-Files'




A handful of revelations pop up in an interview David Duchovny did recently with The Daily Beast. Among them: the future of the X-Files film franchise, how long he'd like to keep doing Californication, and where the similarities with Hank Moody begin and end.
Duchovny's portrayal of misanthropic, sex-addled novelist Hank Moody is largely informed by his own time as a Yale doctoral student in his 20s, TDB writes.
"I envisioned that as my life: staying in academia to make a living and then taking summers off to write my novels," Duchovny says. "I understand the self-loathing and the resentment, and the discipline that it takes to sit down in front of a typewriter or computer every single day, whether it's going well or not going well...I didn't need to research how to be a professor (for Californication's third season) because I'd already been a teaching assistant when I was pursuing my Ph.D.; it was a very clear memory."
"The key to Hank Moody, certainly for me in acting him, is that he's one of those guys who don't give a f***, just like Larry David's character, which is a wish-fulfillment fantasy for all of us."
The actor predicts that he will play Hank Moody for another two to three years. "One of the great things about doing cable is that going past seven years is not part of the network's financial model, so I'm not afraid we’ll go too long," Duchovny says.
On The X-Files, Duchovny notes: "A show or movie with the staying power of The X-Files happens so rarely, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime event for an actor, and a certain residue accrues to a person when they are involved in something like that. There was a prejudice within the Hollywood community where they didn't know I could do anything else. I understand the residue and I don't resent it, but certainly I am happy to have created another character that's so different, in a different genre, and I would love to keep doing that."
Still -- and despite the pummeling last year's The X-Files: I Want to Believe took -- Duchovny looks forward to filming a third X-Files film in the near future. "As far as the X-Files movie I'd like to do next, if we get a chance to do it, would be a return to the heart and soul of the mythology, which is the alien-oriented conspiracy. I think it's natural for The X-Files to have another movie in 2012, so we'll see if we get to do it," Duchovny told TDB.
Finally, regarding his highly publicized bout with sex addiction, Duchovny tells TDB he is not a Method actor and his off-camera struggles do not affect his performance: "I understand why people ask that question, but there is never a personal-life connection between my characters and myself. I'm a professional and I can access what I need to access, so there's no bleed-over. I didn’t need to believe in aliens to play Mulder. As for my personal life, everything is fantastic right now."
Full story: http://www.hollywoodwiretap.com/?module=news&action=story&id=41439

Duchovny Discusses 'Californication, More 'X-Files' at Hollywood.com

No comments :